Assignment 3 | A COMPREHENSIVE REFLECTION

Overview

Over the duration of the course, I have gained many new skills regarding both the digital and physical fabrication of materials - mainly wood and aluminium. A highly enjoyable course, BEIL0014 has provided me with a heightened understanding regarding the multi-level process which is digital making. Through a series of challenging and energising workshops, myself and others all produced a set of fabrications - ranging from the small and compact to the large and complex.

Satisfied with my performance over the semester, I believe the materials I have fabricated are of good quality and I am happy upon reflection of my work to see how far I have progressed. Nevertheless, it is from this reflection that I believe my work could be further enhanced through one project - the tray. 

The Tray

One of the more challenging projects, I found the fabrication of the tray to be difficult as a result of the sharp and clean edges needed along all four sides in order to achieve an aesthetically pleasing, comprehensive construction. Originally pleased with the outcome of my tray, upon reflection I have formed an understanding regarding the elements which reduced the quality of my work - both structurally and visually. These are as follows:

  • 1  Edge - the edges of my tray are not straight, forming a rugged and uneven finish
  • 2  Side - the sides of my tray are not entirely rectilinear or consistently even
  • 3  Surface - the surface of my tray is not entirely desirable - the finishes are rough
























Comparison 

One of the most effective methods in improving your own work is to compare and contrast your finished product to that of another person. Thomas Surmon was my accomplice in this exercise, and together we fabricated our trays whilst comparing the physical similarities and differences between the two constructions. 

Edge

The edge on Tom's tray forms a more cohesive and consistent finish which is straight and even. A difficult task, forming a consistent edge was challenging as a result of its framing position of the tray, meaning if other elements of the tray bent or disfigured then the edge would do the same.  Although the edge on my tray isn't terrible, it could be improved through employing more care in the fabrication process and utilising finishing tools such as a file. 
TOM                                     BEN

Side

The sides of my tray are not entirely even and consist of areas which become rugged and bumpy. As we found it very difficult to develop a completely smooth finish, Tom's tray contains the same elements as mine regarding irregularity in terms of a rugged and bumpy appearance. However, the sides of Tom's tray follow a more consistent path and are much less indented than mine. From this analysis, my tray could perhaps be improved through following a more considered approach to how I could achieve the physical characteristics of the side whilst limiting the visual damage. 
TOM                          BEN
Surface 

One element which appeared most obviously upon my reflection is the difference in quality between the finishing surface of Tom's tray and my own. Paying little regard to how my surface would appear during the fabrication process, I have realised that utilising too much force and pressure with tools in the workshop seriously deteriorated the overall quality of my finishing surface. This is evident through scratches, indentations and tool marks all over the surface of my tray.  On the other hand, Tom's tray has a much nicer surface finish as a result of the care and attention to detail he employed in the workshop, which I myself fell short of in that regard. Although I consider my surface finish as good, had I of undertaken more care in the fabrication journey I could have created a nicer, more complete finish. 
TOM                                     BEN

Improvement 

Through this reflective comparison, it has become clearer to me regarding how I can improve my tray to a level with a higher finished quality and improved physical integrity. 


Edge

The edge of my tray could be improved through utilising different tools in the lab which I was unaware of at the time or unsure how to safely utilise. In order to create a clean, sharp finish along the base of the tray, using the folding machine for the two longest and most obvious sides could have provided me with a basis upon which to start fabricating the edges of the two smaller sides. 

Furthermore, utilising a dolly could have enabled me to hammer my edges in a more considered way which would result in a cleaner finish. 
Side

To combat the outlined ruggedness of my sides, I could have used the smaller english wheel to get in the tight space and smooth out my surface. Another technique I could have employed with more care is the use of the hammer and sandbag. Before I begun to bend my sides, I could have ensured they were smooth and followed a consistent direction. 

As a result of this, I now understand that formatting the sides should take precedent over bending the edge - basically meaning get the finish of the sides right AND THEN bend the edge. Once the edge is bent it is very difficult to smooth and create a finish for your side. 
Surface

Lastly, the surface of my tray could be improved through undertaking an array of techniques I didn't consider during the fabrication process. Using a piece of material - a cloth, old rag or towel, I could have placed this over the aluminium to minimise the visual impact of the strikes inflicted by the hammer. That being said, I could have also reduced the amount of force I used with the hammer. A combination of these two techniques could have really uplifted the finishing quality of my tray. 

Secondly, using the english wheel at a lesser grip would have reduced the amount of stretch lines apparent over the surface of my tray. At the time I thought the tighter the grip the better, as the result would be much quicker, however upon reflection I have realised a looser grip alongside of a more consistent approach to time and effort would have reduced the visual ugliness of the stretch lines. 
Summary

Overall, BEIL 0014 Digital Making has been one of the most enjoyable courses I have undertaken at UNSW. This is because of the diligence of the staff in the labs and the course, strong work ethic employed by myself and other students, the the fun which came with learning something new and being enabled to discover what this new thing is all on your own. I enjoyed the freedom associated with constructing an object entirely from a flat piece of aluminium - this is a process I had never done before. 

In relation to my discipline, the construction techniques and digital fabrication elements I have learned will enable me greater understanding within the realm of landscape architecture. Working with students of all disciplines - construction managers, architects and industrial designers (just to name a few), has allowed me to understand how different practices respond to a task and how sharing knowledge from our respective fields can result in a great finishing product, such as was demonstrated in Assignment 2 - Fuel Tank. 

As a result of this, and through a reflective analysis of the fabrication of my tray, it is now evident to me how certain structures in design evolve and expand, change and grow, according to certain techniques during the phase of construction. This is knowledge I can now take with me towards the completion of my studies and further afield into the workforce. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment 1 | THE BLISTER

Assignment 1 | THE TORUS